Monday 16 June 2014

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 271

Here is a quote from Linda, thanks so much.

This Sunday, June 15, is Father's Day here in the U.S.  So in honor of all of our Fathers, I will quote Jane on dear Mr. Bennet.
We begin in Chapter 1 of "Pride and Prejudice" where Mr. Bennet is rather "put out" as Jane would say.  There is some "give and take" about Netherfield and its new inhabitants when Mrs. Bennet says:
"Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such a way! You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves."
Mr. Bennet answers:
"You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least."
In the last chapter, 61, he takes a turn for the better with this opinion after his 2 oldest daughters are married:
Mr. Bennet missed his second daughter exceedingly; his affection for her drew him oftener from home than anything else could do. He delighted in going to Pemberley, especially when he was least expected.
And so it is with Fathers and Daughters.  My Father was quite upset when I announced I was leaving home to live elsewhere after finishing college.  Thank  goodness, he did get over it.

Yrs aff'ly,

Linda the Librarian

Pic: www.danahuff.net





No comments: