Saturday 13 April 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 229

Since my Jane Austen quote of the Week No. 224, I have done some more research on the subject of the slave trade, mainly due to a friend mentioning Sir Thomas of Mansfield Park.
I found this in Chapter 3:
 
Fanny Price (Frances O'Connor) and Sir Thomas Bertram (Harold Pinter), MP 1999
 
 
These opinions had been hardly canvassed a year before another event arose of such importance in the family, as might fairly claim some place in the thoughts and conversation of the ladies. Sir Thomas found it expedient to go to Antigua himself, for the better arrangement of his affairs, and he took his eldest son with him, in the hope of detaching him from some bad connexions at home. They left England with the probability of being nearly a twelvemonth absent.
 
My friend told us about a new book titled "Sugar in the Blood" that got my interest. So thereafter I searched the Pemberley site for information and found a treasure trove that is so extensive that I will be studying for years to come. I shall have to complete my education. It amazes me how much I didn't know. So happy hunting everyone.
 
Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

No comments: