Monday 28 January 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 220

Sally Hawkins for Anne Elliot in Persuasion 2007

I found this short sentence in Persuasion just now. Volume 1 Chapter 1, page 10 (Oxford edition, 2003):

It sometimes happens, that a woman is handsomer at twenty-nine than she was ten years before; and generally speaking, if there has been neither ill health nor anxiety, it is a time of life at which scarcely any charm is lost.

I have posted this quote back in December 2009. This time, the quote presents another impression for me. The quote is so true, methinks, particularly for myself. When I was 19 years old, I wasn't a girl who knew how to present herself in the best of light. I felt much happier with the way I presented myself when I was 29.... but I wasn't happy with myself. But now, as I'm approaching 39, I find it interesting that I'm also happier than when I was ten years ago.

I mean, it should be like that, right? I do find that I need to reduce my food intake (lest my darling dresses won't fit me...), and I have to do more exercise than before (any tips, Ladies?). But I also accept myself more and at the same time trying to see if I can push the limit a bit more. I don't always succeed, of course. But I can safely say that I'm happier than I was 10 years ago. I hope 10 years later, I will be happier too.

And so I hope for all of us.

(And no, my birthday isn't until March. I just found the above quote charming somehow for this week/weekend past).

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I certainly improved with age. I went from long long hair in braids and scraped back into a ponytail, to no blemishes and a sleek 'do!

Icha said...

There you go! I find that modern women are like wine nowadays. Better with age!

Linda Fern said...

Since I am a mere 72 TODAY (my birthday) I still feel in my mind that I am "only" 16. I have aged a wee bit but some say that I don't look 72. I really would like to retire though. That would make me happy.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian