Sunday 10 October 2010

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 129

This week, I chose a quote from Emma Vol 2 Chapter 16 as spoken by John Knightley to Jane Fairfax:


"Business, you know, may bring money, but friendship hardly ever does."


While I do not say that this quote does not capture the truth, I have to say that the reverse can be truthful, too. I have to say that I've seen people who scored their business deals because they had known their business partner(s) from a friend who attested to their merits. I am not trying to promote nepotism here. However, I do believe that a sincere friendship can invite a good business deal as well, so long as it is conducted in a fair and professional manner. Colonel Brandon offering Edward Ferrar a parish in Sense & Sensibility is a good example of my argument.


Thoughts?

Pic: Audiobook of Emma, read by Prunella Scales

2 comments:

Linda Fern said...

Quite right, Icha. I am beginning to think that friends would make the better business associates, because, hopefully, they would treat each other in a, how shall I say it, fair manner rather than being selfishly greedy. Each would be caring about the other instead of just getting everything for himself. However, I must say that fairness should be the way it is whoever is involved.

Strange you should bring this up now, because I have had this very subject on my mind lately, in that if I had the chance to start my own busines, everyone would be equal partners/workers.

Hm, thinking about what Mr. Knightley said though, he may have been trying to tell us that we SHOULD treat everyone the same, but at that time, IN HIS DAY, it wasn't and it was a shame.

Or maybe I am off course here. I dunno.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

Thanks for sharing, Linda. Here I just want to refute John Knightley's argument re: business and friendship, but I also think no matter who your business partner is, you must be fair and just to him/her, and also vice versa.