Saturday 17 January 2009

Quote of the Week- Week 39

This week I have chosen a quote from Chapter 1 of the beautiful Northanger Abbey.

Catherine has just been introduced to us and it takes us through her transformation into an intrigued and excited 17 year old.


Catherine is one character within Jane's work which I have always taken a particular fondness. I feel that sometimes she is forever in the shadow of characters such as; Elizabeth Bennet, Emma Woodhouse, Anne Elliot.




Mr. Allen, who owned the chief of the propertyabout Fullerton, the village in Wiltshire where theMorlands lived, was ordered to Bath for the benefit of agouty constitution--and his lady, a good-humoured woman,fond of Miss Morland, and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village,she must seek them abroad, invited her to go with them. Mr. and Mrs. Morland were all compliance, and Catherineall happiness.




This line is particularly poignant to me as in three weeks I am going away for nearly 6 weeks to do some volunteer work abroad again. It is my calling at this time in my life. I adore Jane's insight into the world and other people, considering she rarely travelled.




Pic 1: Masterpiece Images- Catherine Morland - Played by Felicity Jones

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much Jane knew that we relate to in this day and age.

Brava, dear Rachel, enjoy your trip and all those dear young ones will be the better for it. You are an angel.

Yrs most aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

Aaahhhh!!! Indeed, so true! I just returned back from India, and it was such an adventure. But really, not only India, going abroad always broadens your perspective... though one day you will always choose a place to call home, wherever that is... and most likely, it's your own home town again...

Jane, you rock, honey!

Jane Odiwe said...

Where are you going Rachel? Are you allowed to tell us? I hope you have a wonderful trip!

mamma jakeline said...

Hey guys! I'm quite busy with being a mom but I want to share this video with you. My little darling had hiccups today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LyFUUkafY

I still can't get over how beautiful he is! :D

hugs and kisses

Rachel said...

I am sorry Jane that I have not replied to your comment sooner.
I am actually off to Ghana agan. I went before in 2007 and worked in an orphanage in the village of Hohoe and now I am going back to the same village but to work in a different orphanage. Its my passion and something I have to do. I am travelling next week and of course I will have my Jane Austen novels in my suitcase!!