Thursday 6 May 2010

Quote of the week - Week 107

I realised that we have not used a quote from Sense and Sensibility for a while so thought that I would base this weeks quote on Marianne Dashwood. I have personally always loved her; I feel a special connection with her character. I think it may be because Sense and Sensibility was the first Jane Austen novel I read when I was very young and impressionable - her sensibility just stuck with me.

This quote is from the closing pages of the novel in chapter 50 after Marianne and Colonel Brandon and Elinor and Edward have been brought together:

"Marianne Dashwood was born to an extraordinary fate. She was born to discover the falsehood of her own opinions, and to counteract by her conduct her most favorite maxims. She was born to overcome an affection formed so late in life as at seventeen, and with no sentiment superior to strong esteem and lively friendship, voluntarily to give her hand to another."

"Colonel Brandon was now as happy as all those who best loved him believed he deserved to be; -- in Marianne he was consoled for every past affliction; -- her regard and her society restored his mind to animation, and his spirits to cheerfulness; and that Marianne found her own happiness in forming his, was equally the persuasion and delight of each observing friend. Marianne could never love by halves; and her whole heart became, in time, as much devoted to her husband, as it had once been to Willoughby."

Firstly I like Jane's use of the word 'fate' - Marianne has the esteem and strength to finally become wiser after her experience of the hurt and betrayal of Willoughby. I love the second part of the quote, particularly the image of Marianne restoring animation in Colonel Brandon's life; what a wonderful ability! I think that the reason I love Marianne is because she never could love by halves and this liveliness and bravery makes her truly admirable in my opinion.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

I love this quote! Thanks for always posting these!

Rachel said...

Thanks so much for your comment Katherine. I loved this quote too!

Jane Odiwe said...

I loved this quote - thank you for posting!

Linda Fern said...

Indeed! Lovely! It rings so true, but then doesn't Jane Austen always! So wise was she, that it makes me feel quite stupid! Well, maybe my only redemption is that I have the ability to recognize her point and act accordingly.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

Now you made me want to watch SS 1995 again. I do agree that this quote is so charming. Particularly the fact that Marianne could not but devote her heart fully when she loves. And why not? Col Brandon was the best person for her.

But I must make note of the vast age difference Jane Austen considered late as opposed to our time's lateness.

"an affection formed so late in life as at seventeen"

By our standard now, 17 is definitely an early age. Time has brought such difference...

Maria Grazia said...

What a beautiful site you have! I'll link it to my JA page.
MG

Icha said...

Wow Maria! I just looked at your JA site and it's amazing! I will link it in our site too, at the Austenian Links on the left-side bar.

Thanks a lot for visiting!

Icha said...

Oh, haha! You've put our site there! Yours is already here too! Scroll down to Austenian Links. Thanks a lot Maria!

Anonymous said...

Wow I got to say ladies that it is most wonderful that U do this blog. I'm young and I learn so much!
Love
-BR