Sunday 18 January 2015

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 290

Over the past two weeks I have been fortunate enough to be asked twice to be a bridesmaid at two dear friends weddings over the next year. I thought that it was therefore appropriate to consider wedding quotes this week. There are a number I love from Pride and Prejudice but I do not believe we have not chosen this one yet to post on the blog, it is perhaps a little cynical but brilliant.


In a conversation between Elizabeth and Charlotte Lucas in Chapter 6 of Pride and Prejudice:


Well," said Charlotte, "I wish Jane success with all my heart; and if she were married to him to-morrow, I should think she had as good a chance of happiness as if she were to be studying his character for a twelvemonth. Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."


I have pondered over the last statement, I have tendency to want to plan and overthink everything but often that is only to my detriment, perhaps this overthinking is a waste of energy and time, perhaps happiness is indeed entirely a matter of chance.


I hope you are all having a super weekend.


Elizabeth Bennet: If he cannot percieve her regard, he is a fool. Charlotte Lucas: We are all fools in love. - Keira Knightley (Elizabteh Bennet) & Claudie Blakley (Charlotte Lucas) - Pride & Prejudice (2005) #janeausten #joewright #fanart

2 comments:

Icha said...

thank you for the beautiful quote, Rachel! Hope your weekend has been lovely so far!

Linda Fern said...

Ladies, after what I have been through for many years, I do hope and now consider that happiness should not be left up to chance. Now I only wish I had known more and studied more.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian