Sunday 8 January 2012

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 179 by Linda

While tiding up my cluttered desk I ran across a scribbling dated for 2-21-09, but cannot find that I actually posted it. So I shall give it a try now.

It is from Mansfield Park, Vol. 3, Chapter 5 of my Signet Classic edition, where Miss Crawford made a request of Fanny:

Her [Fanny's] habits of ready submission, on the contrary, made her almost instantly rise and lead the way out of the room. She did it with wretched feelings, but it was inevitable.

I couldn't help but notice this character trait of "ready submission" when anyone makes a request. It simply must be done. It is a trait that has been passed down through the ages, because I have observed this very trait in my own Grandmother, as well as myself. I will also add that it is fostered in our Bibles as "wives be obedient to your husband's will". I have since learned that "ready submission" is not the way to go. But that's another story.

This is just one example of how Jane throws in so many small things that we can relate to. For instance, when I opened my copy of MP, I noticed all the notations I had made. There is enough material for a ton of quotes. So reader beware! Here I go!

Linda the Librarian

Pic: Cover to Oxford World's Classics of Mansfield Park

No comments: