Sunday 7 June 2009

Quote of the Week- Week 59

My chosen quote for this week is from Pride and Prejudice. I think that the character of Miss Caroline Bingley is fascinating and is often forgotten in the midst of all the other fantastic Austen characters. She is a brilliant example of Jane's ability to observe people and their flawed personalities. Miss Bingley is so shallow and so vindictive; a great character to keep the audience entertained.

She has always felt alot (in the only way she knows) for Mr Darcy. In chapter 11, she is fully aware how Darcy has started to devote his attention to Elizabeth and she hates it. To put the scene in context, Elizabeth has just walked from her home to be with her sister who has taken ill in the Darcy/Bingley company. Miss Bingley dislikes reading but in an attempt to impress Mr Darcy, she is reading the second volume of the novel in which he is currently reading. In an exasperated desperation for attention, she exclaims:

"How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book!—When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

Elizabeth is frank and openly speaks her mind to Darcy, whereas Caroline is very reserved in an effort to please and endear him. Jane Bennet may have been fooled by Carolines apparent friendliness but Elizabeth always saw through her mask. Caroline Bingley is in complete contrast to Elizabeth Bennets genuine, intelligent persona and this is what makes the chemistry between these characters so intriguing.



Pic 1: Elizabeth and Caroline Bingley
Pic 2: Elizabeth and Darcy

1 comment:

Icha said...

Well, Miss Bingley is shallow indeed... but I think her (rather, Jane's) observation is correct here. Even without my true own hoe now, I already love my little bookshelf with books in it. I can only imagine a very beautiful home of my own with my own lovely library... Sigh...

Great quote, Rach. Thanks a lot!