Friday 6 March 2009

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 46

I realised today, when looking at my bookshelf, that Sense & Sensibility is my least-read Austen. In moves to fix that, I've decided to quote from it this week. :)

I think that I would have been good friends with Elinor - I am good friends with Elinor. She inspires me, I think.

From Sense & Sensibilty Chapter 21, as the Dashwoods visit with Mrs Jennings:

Marianne was silent; it was impossible for her to say what she did not feel, however trivial the occasion; and upon Elinor therefore the whole task of telling lies when politeness required it, always fell.

I love this portrayal of the two sisters, and I sympathise with Elinor for being landed with the unlucky lot! I recognise in this passage elements of myself, my mum, and my younger sister. They - while not being like Marianne (just as I am not like Elinor - more Mrs Jennings!) - are unable to express anything they consider not true to themselves, which is something that I admire. Whereas I seem to have landed the Elinor lot ... And paradoxial as it seems - I do not consider Elinor to be hypocritical, perhaps diplomatic in that she doesn't cause a row/draw attention to something that all things measured, is trivial? On her own principles she stands, we know that. Ah, different personalities, don't you love them?

(And I'll probably never learn not to write my blog post late at night - sorry for any confusion of post - am sure I'll be back tomorrow to clarify)

I have another S&S quote (re: Elinor) but I think I will save it for next time.

Have a great week!

Pic: Emma Thompson as Elinor from: janeausten.co.uk

1 comment:

Icha said...

Ah, well... yes, we can either see Elinor as being too diplomatic, or just being polite. I also share the empathy for Elinor... she's always the one who had to do the 'hard work' of telling this and thats... though she didn't really want to. The troubleshooter of the family, really.

But in such a situation, I might be doing what Marianne did as well... :-D won't bother to find polite words... hehe...