Sunday 28 November 2010

Jane Austen Quote of the week - Week 133

I have chosen a quote from a conversation between Catherine and Henry in chapter 16 of Northanger Abbey.

“With you, it is not, How is such a one likely to be influenced, What is the inducement most likely to act upon such a person’s feelings, age, situation, and probable habits of life considered — but, How should I be influenced, What would be my inducement in acting so and so?”

“I do not understand you.”

“Then we are on very unequal terms, for I understand you perfectly well.”

“Me? Yes; I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible.”


I chose this quote as I have recently been in the company of too many people who think it clever to over complicate language with the aim of making themselves seem more superior. I love Catherine's retort here and I think it highlights how sometimes intentions can be expressed alot clearer when put simply. I think that the world is filled with overcomplications.

Pic: Henry and Catherine

No comments: