Saturday 28 November 2009

Quote of the Week - Week 84

Seems Emma has been my favourite as well... for my last quote was also about Emma. Anyway, can't help falling in love with the book! Chapter 17, last paragraph, as Harriet received the bad news about Mr. Elton's utter admiration for Emma, and none for herself:

Harriet was further unfortunate in the tone of her companions at Mrs. Goddard's; Mr. Elton being the adoration of all the teachers and great girls in the school; and it must be at Hartfield only that she could have any chance of hearing him spoken of with cooling moderation or repellant truth. Where the wound had been given, there must the cure be found if anywhere; and Emma felt that, till she saw her in the way of cure, there could be no true peace for herself.

I like Emma here. I mean, I always like her, despite her blemishes. But here she truly became a protective friend and tried to console Harriet in any ways possible. It reminds me of my conversation with a dear friend of mine; I had to make an hour international call to talk about her problems... (thank God for cheap Skype phones!). However, it worth every cent; she was there years ago when I had my problems, and now it's my turn to help her, at least by listening and keeping her spirit... and I'm grateful for the chance to do it...

Pic: Mr. Elton and Harriet from Emma 2009, from Costume Dramas.

2 comments:

mamma jakeline said...

I have an early christmas gift for you! http://i46.tinypic.com/2iw2fdi.jpg

Hope you like it :)

Alexa Adams said...

It's all too easy to dwell on Emma's faults. This quote is a wonderful reminder that her heart, if sometimes mistaken, is always in the right place.