Friday 13 July 2007

Jane Austen Book Club: the Movie

A bit off-track, ladies and gents, but not really. For it's still about our dearest Jane Austen. To be precise, about six women in California discussing Jane Austen's books and find similarities with their own lives. Karen Joy Fowler wrote the Jane Austen Book Club back in 2004, and now Hollywood is making a movie out of it.



I have to admit that although I have the book, I haven't finished it yet. The thing is, the narrator keeps changing in each chapter. In fact, you're not sure which one is even the narrator. Or an imaginable 7th person floating around or something. But I think the book (started with 'Each of us has a private Austen') should be an interesting read if you can overlook that Mrs X narrator.

Oh, and Emily Blunt (who played as Emily Carlton in The Devil Wears Prada) plays Prudie, one of the major characters. And here she is, with American accent! Is it not interesting that her co-star Anne Hathaway played Jane Austen with English accent, while Emily (which I think also a superb actress) plays a JA fan with American accent! And I'm glad that the release date is not so far behind (Sept 21, 2007).

This is one of the YouTube links, by the way. And this is the official site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Icha. I am reading Jane Austen's Book Club at present and am enjoying it tremendously. I don't mind the switch up in characters, but that's the way I tend to write too.