Friday 15 May 2009

Quote of the Week 56 by Linda

Let us take a look at the happy ending in the final paragraph of Pride and Prejudice:

With the Gardiners, they were always on the most intimate terms. Darcy, as well as Elizabeth, really loved them; and they were both ever sensible of the warmest gratitude towards the persons who, by bringing her into Derbyshire, had been the means of uniting them.

What I gather from this is that we should be grateful for all events in our lives because we never know which event may result in something good (that we would wish for). We take the good with the bad.

Alas, we may even learn a lesson from the bad. To top that, a strange thing happened on the way home while listening to the radio. A song came on and the few words I heard made my ears perk up. The words were: Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. The song was by Garth Brooks named “Unanswered Prayers”. Those particular words were in reference to the fact that in his youth he had prayed for a special girl at school and it didn’t happen. Instead he ended up with his most beloved wife for which he thanked God for his ‘unanswered prayer’.

So you see, we cannot be certain about the outcome of the good/bad events of our lives. ‘Tis best left to the Higher Power.

Linda, your Friendly Philosopher, er, the Librarian


Pic: Lizzie & Darcy (1995) from: Flickr

5 comments:

Barbara said...

You are so right, Linda :)

Icha said...

My dearest Linda, my sincere apologies. I have been very busy with wrapping up my research and returning to Oz that I didn't have time to have a proper look at this amazing quote.

And indeed you are correct. I have so many 'bad' experiences which actually served me great lessons. I have two particularly super bad relationships that turned out to be so good that I was not with them! I secretly thank them for the golden opportunities they unconsciously gave me...Had I ended up with one of them, I would not be who I am at the moment. And that's a big loss for me...

Anonymous said...

Whew, I am glad it worked out for you, Icha.

Did I say, "we should be grateful for all events in our lives"? Oh, boy - let me tell you what happened on Monday since I posted that! The oldest granddaughter (12) was rushed to the hospital. She was almost in a diabetic coma. She is doing very well now, but she will have to be very careful of her activities henceforth. She scared us nearly to death. She may be home today or tomorrow. So, you see we never know what's next.

Linda the Librarian

Rachel said...

Oh Linda. How is she now? I hope that you are all coping ok.
This quote is probably the wisest that has been posted on here!
Thanks for being our friendly philosopher, librarian and pearls of wisdom!
Love to your grandaughter.

Icha said...

I'm very sorry for what happened to your granddaughter, Linda dearest... I hope she's healing and rejuvenating well, and you don't have to go through such stresses anymore...

My prayers for all of you.