Thursday 14 January 2016

Alan Rickman just died...

Alan Rickman....
Breaking a hiatus shouldn't be with sad news... but here it is. I'm so sad that I feel like I'm unintelligible right now. 

But what can I do when one of my favourite actors died just now? Alan Rickman is my definitive Colonel Brandon; he was my ideal man in the Jane Austen world. I used to listen to his voice reading a poem at YouTube a few years back, mesmerised by his voice. I watched him as Col Brandon watching Marianne, youthful Marianne, then reading her poems. I watched him recently as Louis XIV in A Little Chaos, again with Kate Winslet who used to portray Marianne.

It hurts, you know? Separation hurts. And for that... I can only pour my pains here...Well, not just here, but this is one of the outlets I have, so do excuse my sadness...

My Col Brandon just died. My Severus Snape just died. And it hurts so much...

This link provides you with The Guardian's version of 10 best Alan Rickman performances. I posted some Alan Rickman YouTube videos as well below, just because I love him so. Alan, rest in peace. Thank you for providing us with that smile, that humour, that voice... that beauty that is you...

My favourite Alan Rickman scenes/series are below:



A Christmas Special BBC 2000





Sense and Sensibility 1995, Col Brandon first meeting Marianne (she was singing "Weep You No More Sad Fountains")





Sense and Sensibility 1995, reading Marianne a poem





"Of things unseene how canst though deeme aright,"
Then answered the righteous Artegall,
"Sit though misdeem'st so much of things in sight?
What though the sea with waves continuall
Doe eate the earth, it is no more at all;
Ne is the earth the lesse, or loseth ought : 
For whatsoever from one place doth fall 
Is with the tyde unto another brought : 
For there is nothing lost, that may be found if sought."


― Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, read by Col Brandon (Alan Rickman) for Marianne Dashwood (Kate Winslet), Sense and Sensibility 1995. 


Alan Rickman reading Shakespeare's Sonnet 130




Severus Snape ("Harry Potter"), the most amazing hero...



Source: Techinsider

4 comments:

Jacquie H. said...

I just found out Alan Rickman died, and I wanted a quote from Colonel Brandon to post on my fb page....and I stumbled upon your blog. He was a Wonderful actor, but like you, he will always be Colonel Brandon! I have read Sense and Sensibility, and all I can hear is his voice when I get to his lines in the book! I was only 15 in '95 and I fell in love with him....my friends thought I was mad....lol...but there was always something pleasing about him! Anyway, I share you sadness at the loss of such a great actor! R.I.P.Alan....

Linda Fern said...

Here is my story: First, I got the movie from the library to refresh my sagging memory. After viewing about half of it, I was confused as to "who was who" and "what they were doing". Next, I got an online summary, and pulled out my book from my shelf - to refresh my memory. I read a few of the first pages and was absolutely astounded at Jane's writing - WOW.

So after all that I was able to view the movie from beginning to end and WOW - I understood "what was happening" and "who was who". And I dearly love Alan as Colonel Brandon. He was Perfect. Whew, end of story, and Thanks for the Memory.

Hugs,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

thank you, Ladies, for your thoughts... and apologise for the very late approval of your comments (the comments are moderated to avoid spams). I still miss Alan... Rest in Peace, Col Brandon...

mr facts said...

So after all that I was able to view the movie from beginning to end and WOW - I understood "what was happening" and "who was who". And I dearly love Alan as Colonel Brandon. He was Perfect. Whew, end of the story , and Thanks for the Memory.