Thursday 15 September 2011

Jane Austen Quote of the Week - Week 167

I have been away from the blog for a while and it is nice to be back.
Whilst I was away (in India) I did lots of self reflection as you can imagine and I realised just how busy my mind is and how I now endeavour to live my life with more calm. I am sure that will change swiftly with the return to the normal pace of life though.
These thoughts led me to my quote this week taken from Emma.
Emma is out shopping with Harriet and is led to the window as Harriet is "tempted by everything and swayed by half a word."

Emma is amused by what she sees and I like Jane Austen's observation of her mind:

"A mind lively and at ease, can do with seeing nothing, and can see nothing that does not answer."

I think that Emmas mind is always lively but less often at ease, but in standing watching the world she has found some calm and is content. However, sometimes it is just easier if we see nothing as this eliminates the pressure to process and contemplate what we see. I like the "can see nothing that does not answer" line as I think that this illustrates Emma's mental overactivity as she often has a habit of making something out of nothing - we see this throughout the whole novel.

It sure is tiring to have a lively mind. But also rather exciting.

Pic: Emma and Harriet

1 comment:

Icha said...

Rachel dear, welcome back! How was India? Do please share more news!

As for the lovely quote:
"A mind lively and at ease, can do with seeing nothing, and can see nothing that does not answer."

Since you mentioned India, I cannot help but interpreting this the Eastern way. I.e. when our mind is quiet without chatters, we can clearly see things as it is. Often in fact, during meditative state, a mind at ease can see the answer to a problem long disturbing us.

A very interesting observation. Thank you.