Sunday 20 February 2011

Tom Lefroy Quote - Week 6

The quote I have chosen represents Tom's dedication to his religious faith and how it comforted him in times of need.

The following was written in 1852 (Tom was 76 years old) in a letter to his wife:


"Amidst all the gossiping rumours of the last few days these sweet words have kept my mind very quiet 'Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you : not as the world giveth, give I unto you - let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.' I cannot delay but a moment longer, except to send my love to all the dear ones around you."

The quote within the quote is taken from the bible - John 14:27.


We all have methods which comfort us in situations of unease and in my opinion the words which keep Tom's 'mind quiet' are quite beautiful. The fact that he shares them with his wife is very charming.

Pic: JamesMcAvoy.com

No comments: