Friday 8 January 2010

Jane Austen Quote of the Week - Week 90

I was (am) still in the New Year mode, so I was looking for a quote decent enough for a beginning when I opened Pride & Prejudice Volume III Chapter 19 (Penguin Classics 2003, p. 364). It was after Jane and Lizzy got married to Bingley and Darcy respectively. I found this one:

“Mr. Bingley and Jane remained at Netherfield only a twelve-month. So near a vicinity to her mother and Meryton relations was not desirable even to his easy temper, or her affectionate heart. The darling wish of his sisters was then gratified; he bought an estate in a neighbouring county to Derbyshire, and Jane and Elizabeth, in addition to every other source of happiness, were within thirty miles of each other.”

After a moment’s contemplation (actually while riding my motorbike amidst the mild traffic of Bali) I then realised that this was the quote I was looking for. For the quote tells me that if we want to start anew and afresh, we must disconnect ourselves from our past lives. Disconnection does not mean dislike, hatred or even judgement. Merely an understanding that to start anew, the old ones have to 'die' first. To be a new you, your old self must die first. Before your new life starts, your old life must fade into oblivion first.

For Jane and Bingley, it was the constant irritation of the dearly beloved Mrs. Bennet (and the cacophony of Meryton) that they must avoid to truly start a new family. Something that Lizzy and Darcy already acquired by living in Pemberley, miles away from Longbourn.

For me, I choose to leave my past behind. Embracing all the mistakes and sadness, thanking them for all the lessons they taught me, and letting them go. As the clock hit twelve, bringing 2010 to us, I chose to be a new Icha, gratefully free from her past. Not an easy journey, dare I tell you, but still a worthwhile one.

What about you? Have you thought of things, circumstances, or even people (including your old self) you must leave behind to start anew? Blessings for your journey.

Pic: Flickr.com

4 comments:

Linda Fern said...

Bless you, dear Icha! I needed that! I won't go into details but only say that it rings a much needed bell.

And for the life of me I cannot picture you 'riding a bike in Bali'!

I wish you all Blessings in this New Year!

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Alexa Adams said...

What a lovely sentiment. I too am quite enthused about 2010. My husband and I bought our first house New Years Eve and it felt like finally leaving childhood behind: not necessarily a bad thing, but scary nonetheless. The notion of Jane and Bingley's needing to establish their own lives, away from the society of Meryton, is one I greatly sympathize with. Here's to new beginnings! Happy New Year!

Icha said...

Thank you Ladies. Glad that the quotes helped.

It seems that it's my turn to ask for help now. My dad is ill, and while I won't go into details, I am hoping and praying that he will recover, not only physically, but also spiritually. Blessings.

Icha said...

"And for the life of me I cannot picture you 'riding a bike in Bali'!"

My dearest Linda, motorbike riders in Bali are quite feral. I suggest you brace for dear life if ever you're in Bali, LOL!